Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Day in the life of the unemployed.

For my friends in the working world, I would like to share a snap shot of the fantastic life led by the unemployed. Many people might assume we loaf around in pj's eating over-flowing bowls of children's breakfast cereal while watching the Today show and shopping for tubas on the Internet. ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T47M1C/).


While most of that is true...I don't watch the Today Show. I watch CNN, The Food Network (love Alton Brown!), and the Travel Channel We unemployed folks tend to do a bit more...not everyday but sometimes!



So here is a breakdown of an average day for me:

8:00am- Wake up cause Gen does, then promptly realize it's way too early and go back to sleep.
8:45am- Roll out of bed with no bad feelings for sleeping in.
9:00am- Pour huge bowl of the cereal of the week and make coffee.
9:03am- Turn on CNN
9:05am- Change channel because I have seen everything on CNN already.
9:07am- Contemplate taking a shower. Some days I might even shower as well.
9:46am- Check up on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, email, ESPN.com, and enter to win every sweepstakes online I can find.
10:15am- Sweep Gen's computer for spyware and viruses from all the sweepstakes I entered.
10:22am- Call around looking for someone to take me to lunch, that has a job and can pay.
10:34am- Search usual job boards and company websites, return job search related emails, follow up on leads.
12:00pm- Head out for free lunch.
3:00pm- After letting someone feel good for feeding me, I may walk around and people watch.
3:12pm- Find coffee shop and refuel. Catch up on gossip mags and local news. Pretend to be an important author by opening laptop and staring at the blank blinking cursor.
4:30pm- Return home and make a drink. Spend quality time with couch. Check Facebook again.
4:42pm- Bad time for TV. Watch recorded shows or take a nap depending on how strong the drink was.
6:18pm- Hang out with Gen for a bit after she gets home from work. Try to not make her too jealous of my day.
7:00pm- Go to gym. Stare at people trying to work out while I spin the wheels of an exercise bike, rocking out to some new songs on my ipod, that I did not pay for of course.
8:20pm- Meet up with friends for dinner and drinks. Contine trend of not paying. Or have friends over for party and drinks that Gen bought.
9:56pm- Drunk. Cause I can and it's free.
12:45am- Eat Man-cake at the Stepping stone; still drinking, still free.
2:36am- Pass out at home without turning on an alarm. Why, 'cause I don't have to work in the morning!

I hope this gives you a better appreciation for the unemployed folks in your life. It's not always fun and games. At times it's down right hard work keeping up the lifestyle, and finding new creative ways to entertain yourself for free. But somebody has to make you working folks feel superior. For now, I am good with being that man.




**Check out the Stepping Stone Cafe...perfect place for the unemployed, cheap and good! http://www.steppingstonecafe.com/**

No comments:

Post a Comment