Tuesday, March 31, 2009

For those that missed the Axe!

Given the current state of our economy it is inevitable everyone will experience some sort of brush with the axe of a layoff. Be it your husband or wife, parent or child, friend or even yourself; it's coming and it's going to hurt!

Fear starts to settle in throughout the office. The gossip mill has been swarming and everyone knows the layoffs are coming. Names start to leak out, people you have worked with for years, closed huge deals with, and finished a few long nights at the bar celebrating a promotion or a hard day. The names flying around though hushed phone calls and secret text messages. So many they start to sting, these people are no different than you. What if the rumors are wrong, or they just forgot to include you in the list? When the dust settles you're sitting in the same cubical you've been in for years, watching as our co-workers file in and out of the HR department; first, in with fear, then out with an empty hallow expression.

Some of these people you expect, the hairy guy that hasn't done anything other than finish off the goodies left after every pointless meeting or the old hag that has been hanging on to her job for way too many years doing just enough to get by but not smart enough to get herself promoted. Then you start to see co-workers walking towards the HR department you never would have believed. These people you have become close to. You even consider some friends. You've met their wives and kids. You know about their new home or boat, the student loans they are still paying, or the up coming wedding you've been invited to!

At first, you may not know what to do or say. What's going to happen to them? Will you see these people again? Is it right to say good bye, tell them it will be ok? That they will be better off. Are they going to resent you for missing the axe? Coming from someone that has felt the blade fall on him like a ton of bricks I would say the best thing to do is simply offer your assistance and ask them to call.

That's it. There is no reason to prolong this emotional and horrifying experience. The moment when you are let go, for any reason, you feel as though all the work you have done just got thrown back in your face and a huge part of your identity was just torn away. It takes a little healing time to realize what happened, take note that you are more than just a job title, and get back to what is important to you. I personally can barely remember what happen the morning I was let go other than I was disappointed I didn't go out in a blaze of glory!

Now that I have healed from the blow that axe welding a-hole dealt me (really, I'm totally over it!). I've realized I have some good friends from my time in the office. It's only natural that I wouldn't hate a few of those people I spent so many hours with chained down to my desk. It has taken a few months but I've started getting back in contact with a few former co-workers, some that still are stuck in the white shirts and some that have also freed themselves from it.

While I have enjoyed the reunions I have been able to have thus far, a few things have stood out from my encounters. Why is it that given everything in life we can bond over does work always become the topic of choice? I understand this is were our mutual bond was formed but is this all that brings us together? I think it's hard for former co-workers to understand so here it is. Once you are out...you're done. Yes, of course we are concerned about you and our other real friends from work, that what friends do. But the daily rumor mill no longer satisfies us. Please don't be offended when this happens. It's simply we have had to move on and jump into a whole new world, one where I don't care who got promoted or was "running tight!" last week.

I know this all seems a bit harsh but some tough love will help everyone in this crazy transition. While the unemployed will appreciate not having to relive the horrors of corporate jargon and the accomplishments of people no longer known in our world. The employed will realize work is only a small part of your life and not a common denominator of friendship. Coming to this realization for the employed will make their inevitable lay off more bearable (it will happen someday to everyone, guaranteed!) as well as help them find a more enjoyable work life balance and some much needed sanity.

During my time in the corporate prison I have really made some great friends. I realize this now that I've escaped. I really worked for some great people, with some up and comers, and hired some fantastically talented people. I've also been forced to deal with some real dumb folks too...if you would like to know where exactly you fall just call, if I answer or call you back you'll know where you lye!

2 comments:

  1. just found this! love it. we have much in common.

    -blythe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your comment on "running tight" a plug for my upcoming novel? I'm gonna tell myself that it is... :)

    ReplyDelete