Friday, March 6, 2009

Go to the Library and other free stuff to do!

Being unemployed can totally cramp your style.
Nothing in particular to get out of bed for, no cash flowing in, and that pesky crushing social pressure to be gainfully employed...it can be downright rough! Coupled all this with the terrible Oregon weather it can be crippling.
After spending the honeymoon period of my unemployment hitting up everyone holding a non-maxed Visa card for lunch, coffee, drinks, and happy hours, I have ended up with my ass parked on the couch so often it's started to tingle. The thing is, I really didn't know what else to do! The novelty of not having to work has worn off, and I am at a loss for what to do with my surplus of time and my cash deficit.
I could easily spend my mornings looking for a new gig; working on my resume, downloading....stuff, maybe going to the gym, eating two bowls of 1.99 cereal for breakfast, watching hours of The Food Network, and poking around on Facebook. Problem is, by about noon everyday I don't have shit left to do, nor do I have any money to do it!



So I headed out my front door to discover what-the-shit I could get myself into...oh did I mention I kinda have a car? By kinda I mean I have two options; 1) walk everywhere or 2) wake up way too early in the morning and drop my girlfriend off at work, then stay sober enough to pick her up at night. Given those options, I walk most every day...my sleep is pretty important to me, and more often than not I am obligated to drink in the middle of the day! It's my way of paying respect to all the schmucks that still have to work; think of it like pouring out one for your homies, but pouring it into my mouth instead.



So what to do with no cash? Start checking off this list!
  1. Get yourself a library card. Did you know they give out books for free?

  2. Find a coffee shop with free refills and newspapers. Someone might think you're smart.
  3. Volunteer. You can tell people you are doing something good for years after you stop.

  4. Walk around town and learn something new about your city...there's got to be something. For inspiration, check out Girl About Town!http://genevieveabouttown.blogspot.com/ (shameless plug)

  5. Find a park and people watch. Plus...squirrels don't go through recessions and layoffs.

  6. Walk someone's dog for them. That someone will owe you, and chicks love dogs!

  7. Go to hosted networking events. Free booze is never bad.

  8. Don't ever miss a friend's wedding. Again, free booze is a good thing!
  9. Keep in touch with old co-workers. Make them pay (stay tuned).

  10. Use the free wi-fi everywhere. It's so much better than sitting at home, mainly for your roommates.

  11. Make friends with the guy that belongs to the wine club. At least until he gets canned too.

  12. Go to the gym. It may not be totally free, but it's a really cheap place to shower if you get evicted and hot girls go to the gym, or at least aspiring hot girls. Plus hot tub and sauna, good stuff.

  13. Head out to First Thursday, Last Thursday, and whatever other days stores give out free booze. You can even use it as a date...they will think you are artsy!

  14. Hang out at the mall and watch the street performers. Maybe they will give you a job.

  15. Spend some time with your local day laborers. Make some friends, and maybe a couple $!
I would love to see this list expand...mainly 'cause I've run out of shit to do. So either give me a job, or add to the list. I will know if you didn't add to it, and then I will come looking for my new job. Consider yourself warned. I've got the time to find you.

*It is still really fun not working just in case you wondered...really, really fun!

6 comments:

  1. You could also help me write my unemployed docudrama screenplay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in! I will need an advance though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. netflicks- movie playlists (worst movies of all time, unemployed heros, end of the world movies, movies that reference velociraptors, etc.)
    canned food cook-offs (iron chef style)
    learn to juggle
    go hiking in forest park
    board games... make every night a board game night with a different group of friends...
    there is also pub trivia at different bars in portland- for the price of 1 br (i think there's a place that does bingo)
    you could create elaborate drinking games
    engage in public preformance art (aka be obnoxious in public)
    garden
    babysit
    farmer's market and saturday market
    start making christmas presents (you'll be considered thoughtful and other family members will resent your time off)
    donate blood
    fake shop for cars and other pricy items you can no longer afford
    find out where you can get free samples (godiva, see's, ice cream shops, cheese counters, etc)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At UO they have a program where people can go have a conversation hour with foreign exchange students where you can help them work on their English skills, I am sure they have this at PSU as well, good way to meet people from other country's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donating blood is a good idea! My husband donated blood in college for extra cash. They call it "donating" to make yourself feel good but it is really selling your blood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the ideas! I will start checking them off my list. Might need someone to bake me cookies if I am "donating" blood though! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete