Friday, March 20, 2009

March Madness Baby Yeah!

For those in the know...which is every sports loving person in the world...it's March Madness time!



Every year since walking into the University of Oregon campus there have been three weeks beginning in March as important as spring break to me. Now, I'm not a huge basketball fan or anything. Honestly, I couldn't tell you anything about basketball other than what I learned playing in the Boys and Girls Club league when I was like 10. But, once a year millions of people around the world become basketball fanatics! Days full of back to back to back college hoops shining on multiple TV's being beamed in from 8 states across the country.




What person in the world wouldn't love this stuff!


Sadly, every year since graduating I've been chained to a desk. Like so many other poor souls, unable to catch but mere glances of a game during long lunches or a stray cell phone.


That is, until this year!


I began the day prior to the first round gathering TV's, arranging couches, and stacking up enough supplies to never move from the couch while filling out every cash prize bracket I could find. With brackets in hand and beer on ice I wait. I also invited everyone could to stop in and watch as much of the fun as they can; partly to have some company, partly to rub it in a bit.


Waking up at 8:45am I shuffled up stairs and fell into the couch not to move again until 12:30pm. By 2pm I had killed a 18 pack of delicious Pabst Blue Ribbon, some mini corn dogs, and a few bags of chips all while watching my bracket perfectly executed! If I could go all the way 100% correct I would win $100 million!


As I killed a few more Pabst's and a few more snacks, I pondered what I would do with the cash. Who if anyone but an unemployed nice young man such as my self would be perfect to win this grand prize! I would never work again, I thought! I would buy a new house somewhere close by in NW, get myself a rad car, and never ever work for some stodge corporate middle management a-hole again! Then as quick as those thoughts came they were crushed. In a haze of golden PBR I saw Western Kentucky tear down my dreams and crap all over them.


Waking up the next day, my dreams smashed into pieces, I came to a realization. I am living a dream 90% of the working world has once a year. Sitting on my couch with a huge bowl of cereal I know how lucky I really am and how next year I may be wishing for this very thing again. So here is to the dreams of so many out there. I will live it up for us all!


However I am running out of beer...feel free to donate to the cause by dropping off your beer well wishes to my front porch. Your gift of a beer will last a life time or until mid-afternoon. And if you really want to there is always a spot on the couch for a friend or a stranger with booze and food!






No comments:

Post a Comment